With the manufacturing of the very first elevated aqueduct in Rome, the Aqua Anio Vetus in 273 BC, individuals who lived on the cityâ€™s hillsides no longer had to be dependent entirely on naturally-occurring spring water for their needs. When aqueducts or springs werenâ€™t available, people living at raised elevations turned to water taken from underground or rainwater, which was made possible by wells and cisterns. From the beginning of the sixteenth century, water was routed to Pincian Hill via the underground click creek channel of Acqua Vergine. Throughout the length of the aqueductâ€™s route were pozzi, or manholes, that gave access. During the roughly 9 years he had the residence, from 1543 to 1552, Cardinal Marcello Crescenzi made use of these manholes to take water from the channel in buckets, though they were initially established for the objective of cleaning and maintaining the aqueduct. The cistern he had made to obtain rainwater wasnâ€™t satisfactory to meet his water requirements. To give himself with a more effective system to gather water, he had one of the manholes opened up, offering him access to the aqueduct below his residence.